Tips for Determining a Quality Mattress
Advertisers paying for commercial spots on TV or the radio want you to think there are only a few good mattresses to choose from. Department stores and high-end furniture retailers would like to sell you the same lie. The truth is, there are many excellent choices beyond the name brands that get pushed to the public the most.
In fact, some of the best mattresses don’t come from companies with the catchiest slogans or the highest “luxury” mattress prices. They’re simply mattresses made from good materials providing the right construction for a super night’s sleep. It’s also helpful to keep in mind that the best mattress for one person might not be ideal for another.
You don’t have to pay $5,000 or even $10,000 to get a mattress that will give you comfort every night, for years on end. But, you should know what to look for in a quality mattress.
Types of Mattresses
There are 4 types of mattresses you’ll see most often:, latex, innerspring, memory foam and foam.
- Latex – A long-lasting mattress material, natural latex comes in various densities. The number of holes positioned throughout the material during manufacture decides the firmness of latex. A greater number of holes softens the feel of the latex. The holes also allow for airflow and minimise heat build up, thereby debunking the ‘ latex is hot ‘ myth. Natural latex is antimicrobial and resistant to dust mites.
- Innerspring – There are many variations of spring types, including Bonnell, Continuous and Pocket to name a few. The most popular type of innerspring is the Pocket Spring System in which every spring is independently housed in a fabric like sock or pocket. This reduces partner disturbance and provides better body contouring. Most other styles have interconnected springs that react to movement with a trampoline like effect.
- Memory Foam – Less expensive than latex yet long wearing, memory foam is a popular substitute. It conforms to the body brilliantly, providing even support along shoulders, waist and hips. Memory foam now comes in a gel infused form for a cooling effect, but this type of foam is often greatly overpriced by big name companies who simply tell a good story and don’t give enough value to support the high price.
- Foam – These mattresses are popular in caravans and boats, as they can be easily cut to fit irregular shapes and sizes.
What do You Need in a Mattress?
The right mattress for you will support the way you sleep and your lifestyle. Do you lie on your back, side or stomach? Are you active and in need of ultimate comfort for tired muscles? Perhaps you need more firmness to support your body weight or maybe you require a therapeutic mattress that makes it easy to sit up, lie down or get out of bed. Your mattress should function for you and the way you live, not reflect status or offer good looks without substance.
- Both side and back sleepers need a mattress that provides support but contours to the body shape in the top comfort layers. The best of both worlds.
- If you sleep on your stomach, a slightly firmer mattress will prevent your back from over arching.
- Sleepers with a lighter body weight might enjoy a softer surface that contours along their curves.
Of course, it’s a good idea to look at the materials in a mattress. How durable are the foams? Very soft foams and comfort layers with fluffy fibres can pack down easily creating deep, uncomfortable body impressions. It’s also helpful to ask how the warranty on a mattress, so you can avoid unexpected terms and conditions.
If you can, lie down on the mattresses you’re considering. There may be no better way to find a good mattress than to try one out!
At Mattress Merchants, we let you do an in-store test to see what you should be sleeping on. We also give you a 60-day comfort guarantee, so you can rest assured the mattress you buy will be right one to end up with. Visit us in our showroom or select one of our quality mattresses online. Let someone with 34 years in the business help you compare styles and get a perfect mattress for a perfect sleep.